How To Hire A Contractor
Are you a buyer or seller that needs to hire a contractor to do some work on your home but not sure where to start?
Here are 6 things to look for and take into consideration when hiring a contractor.
1. Get Multiple Bids from Licensed Contractors: Don’t settle for just one bid, your the shopper, check with the contractor board CSLB to make sure the contractor’s license is active and in good standing. Be leary of bids that are noticeably lower, the contractor could be trying to cut corners or is not going to pull the necessary building permits.
2. Get It In Writing: Put all agreements in writing and have them signed. Not only does this bind the contractor it also helps if you and the contractor need to reference to what you agreed upon.
3. Specific Contracts Are Golden: Put the specific details that have been agreed upon in writing, this includes clean up, removal of debris, special requests such as saving certain materials or updated appliances.
4. Get A Copy Of The Contract: Once you sign the contract you are bound to it, so make sure you read it and keep it for your records.
5. It’s Okay To Update: You can make changes to your contract just make sure you do it in writing and everyone signs the updated version.
6. Check The Financial Terms: The contract should include the total price, when payment is to be made, if there is a prepayment or cancellation penalty. The down payment should never exceed 10% of the contract price or $1,000 whichever is less.
These are just a few tips to help you in your search for finding a contractor. If you would like more information on Oregon contractors you can visit the Oregon Construction Contractors Board website here….
Source: Contractors State License Board (CSLB)